In the words of John Quincy Adams, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader”.
These words define a leader in the most appropriate manner. And going by this definition, we can say that anyone who knows how to lead can become a leader. Or simply put, a person with leadership attributes can do the job quite convincingly.
However, to be a ‘Great Leader’, someone who can inspire others, it requires more than just one leadership quality.
This is why in our today’s blog; we’ve compiled a list of some key qualities, prominently displayed by most powerful leaders in the world.
Let’s have a look:
1. Communication: The very first point that we are going to discuss here is ‘Communication’. It is commonly heard that communication is the key to success. In order to be a good leader, one should communicate clearly with his subordinates or employees. Clear communication ensures makes it easier for people to understand the mission, future goals, targets and vision. Effective communication motivates people to achieve set goals and targets.
So to be a good leader, it is very important that the communication is clear, consistent and catering to the point. This promotes better understanding amidst the employees which further accelerates the work.
2. Accountability: A good leader seldom goes after credit; he is more inclined to take the blame or responsibility of something not working as per the plans. When the leader practices accountability, it apparently gets rubbed onto the subordinates too. People learn to take responsibility for not just success but also of failure. When they are held accountable for their mistakes, they make efforts to rectify them and achieve greater success.
3. Proactive: Another important trait that is seen in good leaders is their proactive nature. Most of the successful leaders tend to be proactive. They don’t wait for things to go awry or problems to turn up. Rather they ensure that they identify the possible issues and problems a project or person at work can face, and make it a point to solve it at the right time. This trait of theirs even helps in taking timely actions, aimed at the positive development of all.
4. Innovation: As Steve Jobs has put it the right way, “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower’. Innovative leaders happen to be creative visionaries with bigger perspectives, who always motivate others to think big. The innovative leader possesses the courage to ask questions and seek answers that can provide the best results. He thinks beyond the traditional business point and believes in exploring new areas.
5. Humility: No matter how big he becomes or how many success milestones he achieves, a good leader never forsakes the people around. The more successful he becomes, the more humble he turns. Humility is one quality that perfectly differentiates a leader from a good leader. Such people even command the respect of others and influence people in the right way.
6. Emotional Quotient: Emotional quotient is the measure of emotional intelligence a person has. Emotional intelligence is a person’s ability to manage his own emotions as well as understanding the emotions of the people around.
People, who have higher EQ, are good at understanding what other person feels when in a particular situation. So this helps them to manage things in an effective manner. At workplaces, emotional quotient is often seen missing. But a good leader will always have a high degree of emotional intelligence that allows him to manage his people effectively.
7. Honesty: Though it may not seem like a very big thing to put in the list, the fact is that honesty plays a very important role in the journey of being a good leader. In order to lead a group of people, while achieving the company targets and goals along with individual growth, it is crucial that the leader stays honest and straightforward. Here integrity too has an important part to play. Following the ethical practices and maintaining transparency in work inspires the people around to follow the same. An honest leader is respected and loved by all.
8. Commitment: To be a good leader, one needs a high level of commitment. A committed leader believes in leading by example. When employees see their leader working alongside them they get more motivated to finish the task with perfection. This not only helps a leader earn respect but even creates an impression that continues to stay on.
9. Positivity: A positive person spreads positivity, which is very vital for the smooth functioning of any organization. So when the leader is positive, he helps others around keep up a high spirit and sees a silver lining under difficult times. Good leaders strike a balance between productivity and a little playfulness in the office. Employees working under a positive team player always find it easier to stay focused without unwanted stress. A positive attitude helps in keeping the employees motivated and focused on the path to success.
10. Empathy: As we conclude this list, the last point here makes for a very important quality. Empathy is defined as the ability to understand what the other person is feeling by putting themselves in their shoes. That’s how one gets to know the emotional pain the person is going through.
Empathizing with employees calls for understanding their genuine problems and if possible, providing apt solutions. So a leader who is emphatic enough will praise in public and make it a point to criticize in private. Such gestures leave strong impacts on the minds of people and even help them turn into their better selves.
So when on the path of being a leader, one must remember that leadership is more about inspiring people to follow. It comes out of respect and never out of fear.
To know more about leadership, here check out some inspiring tales of leadership innovations.