Deepa Malik was born on 30 September 1970. She is an Indian athlete. She is the first Indian woman to win a medal in Paralympic Games and won a Silver medal at the 2016 Summer Paralympics in the shot put. She has also won gold in F-53/54 Javelin event at the para athletic grand Prix held in Dubai in 2018. She currently is the world number one in the F-53 category. Shes won accolades for her participation in various adventure sports. She is associated with Himalayan Motorsports Association (H.M.A.) and Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (F.M.S.C.I.). She has undertaken an 8-day, 1700-km drive in sub-zero temperatures which included a climb to 18000 feet. It was – Raid De Himalaya. This journey covers many difficult paths including remote Himalayas, Leh, Shimla and Jammu.
Malik is the wife of a veteran cavalier Colonel Bikram Singh and daughter of a veteran Infantry Colonel BK Nagpal. She is the mother of two adult daughters- Devika and Ambika.
She is a member of the working group in the formulation 12th five- year plan (2012–2017) on Sports and Physical Education as nominated by the Planning Commission HRD Division on behalf of the Sports Ministry.
Deepa Malik is the first Indian woman to win a Medal at the Paralympics. She won silver medal in the shot put at 2016 Paralympic Games.She was previously honored with the Arjuna award in 2012, at the age of 42 yrs. She has also been conferred the prestigious Padma Shri award in 2017. She has won 58 national & 18 International medals across all disciplines to date.
Awards and recognition
National and state awards
- President Role Model Award (2014)
- Arjuna Award (2012)
- Maharashtra Chhatrapati Award (sports) (2009–10)
- Haryana Karambhoomi Award (2008)
- Swawlamban Puruskar Maharashtra (2006)
- Padmashri Award (2017)
- WCRC Leaders Asia Excellence Award 2014
- Limca people of the year award 2014
- iCONGO Karamveer Puruskar 2014
- Amazing Indian Awards Times Now-2013
- Cavinkare National Ability Mastery Award −2013
- Karamaveer Chakra award 2013
- Nominee for L’Oreal Femina Awards 2013 in “Women We Love Category”
- Batra Positive Health Hero Award 2012
- AWWA Excellence Award For Sports 2012
- Media Peace & Excellence Award For Sports 2012
- Maharana Mewar Arawali Sports Award 2012
- Misaal-e-Himmat Award (2012)
- International Women’s day appreciation Award 2011 – Cancer Patient Aid Association New Delhi.
- Shree Shakti Puruskar CARE- 2011District Sports Award Ahmednagar-2010
- Rashtra Gaurav Puraskar 2009
- Naari Gaurav Puraskar 2009
- Guru Gobind Shaurya Puraskar 2009
- Rotary Women Of The Year Award 2007
- For the silver medal at the 2016 Summer Paralympics
- ₹4 crore (US$560,000) from the Government of Haryana
- ₹50 lakh (US$70,000) from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
For more details, click here