Ira Singhal is 2015 batch, AGMUT cadre Indian Administrative Service officer. She was the highest scoring individual in the UPSC’s Civil Services Examination for the year 2014. She completed her B.E. from NSIT, University of Delhi. Singhal topped the exam in her fourth attempt, to become the first physically challenged woman to top the civil services exam in the general category.
Ms. Singhal had in the year 2010 also cleared civil services examination but was not able to get a posting because of her disability.
Source : http://www.thehindu.com/
Story of Civil Services exam topper Ira Singhal, who hails from Delhi, is truly an inspiring one. The 31-year-old woman who topped the exam in her fourth attempt has become the first physically challenged woman to top the civil services exam in the general category.
Ms. Singhal had in the year 2010 also cleared civil services examination but was not able to get a posting because of her disability. She suffers from Scoliosis, a spine-related disorder, which disrupts her arm movement.
After being unable to get a posting the first time, she fought and won her case in the Central Administrative Service and was finally given a posting in December 2014.
“This is a great moment for me and my family. I think after this people will respect women more and specially disabled women,” Ms. Singhal said.
After not being able to get posting in the year 2010, she gave the test twice afterwards because she wanted to improve her rank. This is her fourth attempt in which she has topped the examination. The Delhi girl is currently posted as Assistant Commissioner in the Customs & Excise department of the Indian Revenue Services, but will likely move to an IAS posting soon.
Ms. Singhal has earlier worked as a Spanish teacher for a year, as well as a manager in Cadbury India, and a marketing intern in beverage giant The Coca Cola Company. She holds an MBA in Marketing from Delhi University’s Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), and a BE in Computer Engineering from Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT).
8 Incredible Facts about Ira Singhal – The Differently-abled Woman who Topped UPSC.
1. She is a victim of Scoliosis, which is a medical condition entailing a deviation of the spine. Owing to this, she has difficulty moving her arm.
2. Additionally, this condition debars her from being eligible to be an Indian Revenue Services Officer, a clerk or even a sweeper.
3. At 31, this was not her first, but her fourth attempt at the highly competitive UPSC examinations.
4. Although she cleared the examinations in 2010 also, she was denied a position on the grounds of physical disability.
5. However, she was not one to back down and she fought her case at the Central Administrative Tribunal, won it and was admitted in 2014.
6. She has an admirable background in education from her schooling in Loreto Convent and The Army Public School, Dhaula Kuan to her graduation in B.E (Computer engineering) from Netaji Subhas Insitute of Technology and a post graduation in M.B.A (marketing and finance) from Faculty of Management Studies,University of Delhi.
7. She loves football (shout-out to all the other Barca fans), is extremely proficient in Spanish, has been an intern at the Coca-Cola company and a manager at Cadbury India.
Also, if any faith is to be laid in a Facebook profile, she is a Harry Potter fan (such win).
8. Oh, but why would you listen to us rant about her! Here are a couple of Ira Singhal quotes to showcase her in all her brilliance, badassery and might.
When she made this statement to the IAS paper –
“I want to be an IAS officer. I want to do something for the benefit of physically challenged people”
When Hindustan Times caught her in a moment of humour –
“I still haven’t checked the rank myself. Hope my friends and you guys saw it properly and confirmed it’s in fact me”
and also when her friend confessed that she plays pranks like a boss (we may just be in love with her).
“She plans the pranks, we execute them together.”
– Maudev Jain, fellow IRS Officer
When The Indian Express managed to bring out the badass in her, while talking about her denial of post after clearing the UPSC in 2010 (you have been warned) –