GATE 2018: All you need to know about
(Text Source: ‘www.gate.onlinetestseries.in/’)
Q.1-What is GATE?
Ans-Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. The GATE score of a candidate reflects a relative performance level in a particular subject in the examination across several years. The score is used for admissions to post-graduate programs (e.g.,M.E./M.Tech/ Direct Ph.D.) in centrally funded Indian Institutes of higher education (i.e., Institutes which are provided with financial assistance by MHRD and other Government agencies). The score is also used by some Public and Private Sector Undertakings for employment processes in India.
Q.2-Why should one go/opt for GATE?
Ans-There are various reasons for one to go for GATE:
- It opens avenue for an individual to pursue M.E./ M.Tech./ M.Sc. Engg. Program in premier institutes of the country.
- Master’s degree is required for Faculty/Research positions in educational Institutes and most of the R&D centers.
- Scholarship of Rs 12400/- is paid during masters course, allowing one to live an independent life.
- GATE qualified candidates are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects.
- Some government organizations (PSUs) prescribe GATE qualification as a requirement.
- Based on the GATE score, some of the foreign university (Like NTU, Singapore) offers Post graduation programme without any GRE score.
Q.3-What is the Eligibility Criteria for appearing in GATE?
- Candidate must have either completed Bachelors in Engineering/Technology/Architecture or those who are in the final year of such programmes can apply.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology or in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/ Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examination conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE/MHRD as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
Q.4-How many times one can appear in GATE and what are the no. of attempts for GATE?
Ans-Number of attempts is not restricted. The best of the valid GATE score is accepted which we provide in application form. The GATE score is valid for 3 years.
Q.5-What is the age limit for GATE?
Ans-There is no age limit for GATE.
Q.6-For how many streams can one apply in GATE?
Ans-A candidate is allowed to appear in ONLY ONE of the 23 papers for which GATE examination is being held, the candidate has to make the choice of the paper he/she wishes to write carefully.
Q.7-Is there any maximum limit for attempting GATE?
Ans-No, there is no limit for attempting GATE.
Q.8-If a student has completed his degree course for B.Tech but there are backlogs in subjects. Is she/he eligible to appear for the exam?
Ans-Yes, a student can appear for the exams even if she/he is having backlogs. However, in such case, the following documents should be provided to GATE.
- Either a copy of any one of the final year mark sheet
- Or a letter from the principal, stating details about the backlog and it being the reason for not being able to produce a pass certificate currently.
Q.9-Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the examination hall?
Ans-No. Bring the admit card at the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied / scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification. ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. Photocopies of the original identification document are not acceptable. Candidates will not be permitted to take the test if original and valid photo identification is not presented.
Q.10-Can you provide us some information regarding Self financing and sponsorship of GATE offered by various Institutes?
- Some institutions indicate GATE qualification mandatory even for admission of self-financing students to postgraduate programmes.
- GATE qualified candidates are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects. Top rank holders in some GATE papers are entitled to apply for “Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Fellowship” awarded by CSIR. Some government organizations prescribes GATE qualification as a requirement for applying to the post of a Scientist/ Engineer. continue reading
GATE Official Website: www.gate.iitg.ac.in/