GATE (GRADUATE APTITUDE TEST IN ENGINEERING)
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to: (i) Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and (ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science, in the institutions supported by the MHRD and other Government agencies. Even in some colleges and institutions, which admit students without MHRD scholarship/assistantship, the GATE qualification is mandatory. Further, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have been using the GATE score in their recruitment process.
The information in this brochure is mainly categorized into Pre-Examination (Eligibility, Application Submission, Examination Centers, etc.), Examination (Pattern, Marks/Score, etc.) and Post-Examination (Answers, Contests, Results, Scorecard, etc.) sections.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an examination on the comprehensive
understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. GATE 2019 will be conducted for 24 subjects (also referred to as “papers”) and it would be distributed over 2nd, 3rd, 9th & 10th of February 2019. The GATE examination centers are spread in different cities across India, as well as, in six cities outside India. The examination would be purely a Computer Based Test (CBT).
The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on the several years of examination data. Note that the GATE 2019 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results.
About GATE 2019
• IIT Madras is the organizing institute for GATE 2019. Examination for all the 24 subjects (papers) will be conducted as ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using a virtual keypad. Rest of the questions will be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type. The Candidates will use ONLY an on-screen virtual calculator provided for the examination. A candidate can appear only in ANY ONE paper of the GATE examination. Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode ONLY at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
Important Dates related to GATE 2019
1. GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens – Saturday 1st September 2018
2. Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website) – Friday 21st September 2018
3. Extended Closing Date for Submission of Online Application (through Website) – Monday 1st October 2018
4. Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable) – Friday 16th November 2018
5. Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing) – Friday 4th January 2019
6. GATE 2019 Examination – Saturday 2nd February 2019 – Sunday 3rd February 2019
Forenoon: – 9:30 AM to 12:30 Noon (Tentative) Saturday 9th February 2019
Afternoon: – 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM (Tentative) Sunday 10th February 2019
7. Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal – Saturday 16th March 2019
To know more, click here