“Great Speech by Aamir Khan Regards Education.”
The Extract of His Thought for Education-
Helping Your Child Become a Responsible Citizen.
Just as children must be taught to tie their shoes, read and write, solve math problems, and understand science concepts and events in history, so must they be guided in developing the qualities of character that are valued by their families and by the communities in which they live. It is only through guidance and modelling by caring adults that children learn to be honest and thoughtful, to stand up for their principles, to care about others, to act responsibly and to make sound moral choices. (Source: https://www2.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/citizen/citizen.pdf)
Children are a parent’s most-valuable asset and every parent dreams about making their children into responsible, amazing people. Besides giving good education, imparting moral values is extremely important. To make your children responsible society members, teach them moral values like honesty, loyalty, respect, self-reliance, self-discipline, patience, kindness, gratitude, forgiveness, personal responsibility and courtesy.
These values help in developing a strong personality for your child and that minimizes the possibility of having them go astray. It is said that from the age of 5-6 children start differentiating between right or wrong and the first lesson comes from their parents. They see their parents as role models and try to follow in their footsteps.
Set an example by following examples that you want your children to follow. Be honest if you want them to be honest.
As they grow, the child’s power to grasp abstract concepts also grows. Therefore their understanding of moral value increases as well. They become keen observers and do exactly what their parents do. So be careful in every act of your behavior while maintaining social and personal relationships.
Few easy steps to impart moral values
By imparting moral values, parents play a dominant role in molding the attitude and approach of the children in their life. Here are a few easy steps to improve your skill-set in this area.
- Narrate patriotic, religious or ethical stories. Question them about the lesson they have learned.
- Be polite, respectful and considerate towards others.
- Media exposure plays a major role in our life. While watching the news or even a movie discuss the different aspects and ask the child what he/she would have done in that situation. This will develop a sense of reasoning in children.
- While performing religious activities involve the child where you can. It generates faith and trust towards God.
- Listen respectfully to your child’s ideas and wherever required correct them. This will boost their self-confidence.
- Spend quality time with children. The quality of time that you spend with your children has a close effect on what they grow up into.
- Provide opportunities for your children to help others. This will instil in them generosity.
- Involve your child in community service. It will generate an attitude of serving.
- Tell your child about the people you admire and why. It will silently inculcate good qualities.
- Comment on compassionate behaviour. Let your child know that caring is an important moral value.
Every Child is a Gift given to you by the God with lots of capabilities and uniqueness, identify those capabilities and uniqueness and nurture it to create a Good Human Beings. Don’t try to impose your expectations on your child, explore his/ her abilities and guide them properly.