Jawaharlal Nehru, Freedom Fighter and Independent India’s first Prime Minister, lived a many-splendoured life dedicated to the service of the nation. Not only was his role in the freedom struggle an outstanding one, as free India’s Prime Minister for 17 years he became the symbol of the hopes and aspirations of a resurgent India. He occupied a unique place in the hearts of the Indian people, an affection which cut across all barriers of race and creed, language and religion, party and ideology.
The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund formally came into being when a National Committee consisting of 110 members was convened in New Delhi on 17 August 1964 under the Chairmanship of Dr S. Radhakrishnan, then President of India.
In Dr S. Radhakrishnan’s words “The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund is a symbol of our determination to keep burning the torch that he has left to us. Let us make it a symbol worthy both of our regard and affection for him and of all that he has so generously bequeathed to us.”
During these long years of its existence the Fund has undertaken a number of activities, all aimed at protecting and propagating the memory and message of the life of one of India’s greatest sons.
Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Scholarship
The scholarships are available for Ph.D. study in India to the following categories of students:
- Indian Nationals
- Nationals of other Asian countries
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION/SUBJECT
A candidate may apply for scholarship in any one of the following areas of specialisation:
- Indian History and Civilization
- Comparative Studies in Religion & Culture
- Ecology & Environment
At the time of making the application for scholarship, a candidate should
- Hold a FIRST Class Post-graduate degree with a minimum 60% marks in aggregate in both graduate and post graduate level,
- Already be registered/admitted for Ph.D. degree with a recognized University/Institution in India. Those who have applied for registration and have not yet been registered at the time of submission of application, are not eligible to apply,
- Not be above 35 years of age,
- Be a full-time Ph.D. Scholar
DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
up to 2 years.
VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIP FOR BOTH THE CATEGORIES
- Maintenance allowance including Tuition fee – Rs.18,000 per month
- Contingent expenses for study tours within India, purchase of books, stationery, etc. – Rs.15,000 per annum
To know more click here