Source: Yougle Bhaskar (Dainik Bhaskar-08-Feb-2019)
President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship
This Postgraduate Fellowship is announced in honor of President A.P.J. Kalam. President Kalam was a strong advocate for young people and a passionate supporter of clean energy and energy independence.
He visited the University of South Florida (USF) in 2012 and is remembered affectionately by USF and the vibrant Indian heritage community in Tampa Bay, Florida.
One award will be offered each academic year.
ELIGIBLE PROGRAMS / FIELDS OF STUDY
The student award will be offered to a student who graduated from or is about to graduate from an Indian University and is seeking to pursue a Ph.D. degree in the following subject/discipline at the University of South Florida:
- Applied Anthropology
- Applied Physics
- Business Ph.D. programs
- Cell Biology, Microbiology & Molecular Biology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Integrative Biology
- Marine Science
SELECTION OF AWARDEES
Application for the award will be made to USF World, which will also be solely responsible for allocating the award. The Postgraduate Fellowship will recognize laudable students who graduated from or is about to graduate from an Indian university, have exceptional academic credentials, and a passion for the STEM fields of study. Applicants must demonstrate experience in his or her discipline, research productivity, and professional contributions and achievements to the field.
The University of South Florida will:
- Waive all tuition for a total of up to four years,
- Contribute a stipend of $22,000 that is payable in three installments of $8000 each in the fall and spring semesters and $6000 in the summer semester. Kalam fellows receive the stipend after the Drop/Add Deadline the first week of classes in the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. In addition, the University will pay full-time tuition (up to 12 credits per semester) for graduate-level credit hours taken at USF that count toward your graduate degree,
- The stipends will be payable by USF once the winner of the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship at the University of South Florida is enrolled at the university for his/her first term,
- All other costs (e.g., airfare, housing at USF, etc.) will be met by the awardee.
Click here for more details