Source: Youtube (Josh Talks)
How I Built A 250-Crore Company From Nothing! | Motivational Wow Momos Story | Sagar Daryani
Wow! Momo is a chain of fast food restaurants headquartered in Kolkata, specializing in Momos, a dumpling popular in Nepal and parts of Tibet and India. It was established in 2008 by Sagar Daryani and Binod Homagai, alumni of St. Xavier’s College, in Kolkata. It has spread across the city to Chennai, Pune, Bengaluru, Kochi, Delhi, NCR, Coimbatore, Thrissur and Digha.
The brand has grown rapidly to become the country’s largest momo chain in terms of volumes, turnovers & innovations. Their menu caters to 12 different flavors of momos available in steamed, fried & pan fried formats largely in white & brown flour variants. They have smartly innovated & invented to create Sizzler Momos, MoBurg (Momo Burgers), Momo Chats etc. And to top it all, even their dessert is a ‘Chocolate momo.
This format operates out of Kiosks, Food Court Outlets, High street mini outlet, and High Street maxi outlets.
100 Crore Valuation & Series A Funding
Wow! Momo has very recently raised its 1st Round of Investor Funding of over 2 Million USD at a 100 Crore Valuation from The Indian Angel Network (IAN). Most of the investors participating in the IAN Funding for Wow! Momo are Delhi based Angel Investors. Mr. Sanjeev Bhikchandani, Founder of Naukri.com (Info Edge) is one of their lead Investors. The other lead Investors are Mr. Saurabh Srivastava, Chairman of the US MNC,CA ( Computer Associates) in India and a serial entrepreneur, angel investor and VC & Delhi Based Businessman Mr. Ashvin Chadha. This is one of the best valuations received by an Indian QSR Chain in its very first round of funding.
Awards and Achievements
- Winners at ET Now Leaders of Tomorrow Regional Awards in Food & Agri Products from East India 2013 & also qualified for National Awards on 09.12.2013
- Winners at ET Now Leaders of Tomorrow Regional Awards 2013 as the Best SME of the Year from East India on 09.12.2013
- Winner of the Images Most Admired Retailer of the Year – Food service in the East India Retail Summit, ITC Hotel on 17.12.2013
- Sagar Daryani of Wow! Momo received a citation as the Top 50 Most Professional Retail Individuals of India for 2013 on 13.02.2014.
- Nominated in the Finals of the Coca Cola Golden spoon Awards under the CATEGORY – Images Most Admired Food Service Chain of the Year: QSR Indian Origin for 2013 & 2014.
- Nominated as Finalists in Et Now Leaders of Tomorrow for the Year 2012.
- Recipient of 1st Runners Up in ‘The Food Court ka Badshah’ organized by Spencer’s Retail Ltd. in Kolkata.
- Recognized by The Telegraph ‘Graphiti’ magazine as top 5 Young Entrepreneurs of Kolkata on 19th Dec, 2011.